About Museum of
the City of New York
The Museum of the City of New York celebrates and interprets the city, educating the public about its distinctive character, especially its heritage of diversity, opportunity, and perpetual transformation.
More Information on Museum of
the City of New York
Explore New York’s past, present, and future through the City Museum’s exhibitions. Admission to all special exhibitions is included in your General Admission ticket. Are you a new New Yorker? Born and bred in the city and eager to learn more? Visiting for a short time or spending a semester seeing the sites?
The Museum of the City of New York can arrange a tour to suit your needs and interests from general overviews of the city’s history, in-depth explorations of special exhibitions, and after-hours and behind-the-scenes adventures. The Museum of the City of New York is located at 1220 Fifth Avenue (at 103rd Street). The Museum and Museum Store are open seven days a week from 10:00 am–6:00 pm. The Museum is closed Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day, and New Year’s Day.
Good To Know
- Free WiFi access is now available throughout the building as well as on the Front Terrace.
- Feel free to text, tweet, and share what you see during your visit. As a courtesy to other visitors, please set your phone to vibrate and take all voice calls outside of the galleries.
- Still photography for personal, noncommercial use is permitted unless otherwise noted. Tripods, selfie sticks, and flash photography are not permitted.
- Pencils, sketchbooks, and notebooks are permitted. However, pens, paints, and easels are not permitted.
- The Museum offers free coat check during regular Museum hours on the Ground Floor. Checked items must be retrieved before the Museum closes. Suitcases and luggage are not accepted at coat check.
- Single strollers are permitted in the galleries, at the discretion of gallery guards. The Museum will not hold or store luggage. All bags are subject to inspection.
New York City Terrific Tidbits
Browse our Travelin’ Fun page for trip tidbits, check out our favorite book on New York City or spend some time reading through our New York City blog! We love New York City and hope you do too!