About Ernest Hemingway
Travel through literary history on this 45-minute guided tour of the Ernest Hemingway Birthplace Home. You’ll learn all about one of the greatest and most influential American writers of the 20th century.
More Information on Ernest Hemingway
Ernest Hemingway’s Birthplace Museum is nestled just west of downtown Chicago in Oak Park, Illinois. This is the ideal place to begin exploring the roots of the author’s life and work. It is here that Ernest Hemingway was born in a second-floor bedroom on July 21, 1899. This Queen Anne home was built in 1890 by his maternal grandparents and was the first home in Oak Park to have electricity. The famed Pulitzer Prize-winning author spent the first six years of his life at what is now 339 N. Oak Park Ave. The restoration, which began in 1992, authentically returned the house to its 1890s’ Victorian heritage; ensuring that your experience of the furnishings and stories told reflect the young man who lived there.
- Access the rooms where Hemingway grew up.
- Guided tour of the exhibits and a detailed history of the author included.
- You’ll learn all about one of the greatest and most influential American writers of the 20th century.
- Ernest Hemingway is both a Pulitzer Prize and a Nobel Prize for Literature-winning author.
- This home was the first to have electricity in Oak Park.
Travelin’ Coupons Top
Save 40% per person at the Chicago Architecture Boat Tour with us! Book your deal today!
GROUPON offers several discounts on things to do in Chicago. You can CHECK HERE to see if they have a live deal today?
Chicago Terrific Tidbits
Browse our Travelin’ Fun page for trip tidbits, check out our favorite book on Chicago or spend some time reading through our Chicago blog! We love Chicago and hope you do too!