Sunrise Adventure Hawaii
Hike to the top of the tallest volcano on Earth and see a sunrise of epic proportions on the Maunakea Sunrise Adventure! This 7-hour excursion includes breakfast at the Onizuka Visitors Center, transportation to the volcano, and parkas. Wake up early and dress warmly for this one-of-a-kind tour to the top of a volcano. Throughout your adventure, your knowledgeable tour guide will educate you on Hawaii’s history, culture, and more.
More Information on Maunakea
Sunrise Adventure Hawaii
Start your Hawaiian day like never before…from the top of the tallest volcano on earth. Enjoy an early morning hot beverage as you stargaze from one of the world’s best astronomical viewing points and highest mountain tops in the world. Learn about the constellations of the stars and the ancient wisdom of Polynesian navigators, who used celestial navigation to sail the 6 million square miles of open ocean in the Polynesian triangle.
After a magical start to your day, ascend to the peak to watch the sunrise. As the stars begin to quiet, see the morning sky begin to light up in brilliant shades of red, orange, purple and blue. Sitting quietly at 13,000 feet, in the middle of the ocean, watch the island light up below you.
On your descent, your guide will teach you about the cultural and scientific significance of the mountain, and the interesting history of the world’s greatest collection of telescopes. Savor a tasty continental breakfast picnic at the private Humu’ula Historic Sheep Station at Maunakea’s base.
- See the night sky on the slope of Maunakea before the day’s first light.
- Take in the sunrise at the top of Maunakea, amidst the world’s largest collection of research telescopes.
- Enjoy breakfast at Onizuka visitors center followed by a short walk through the Maunakea Silversword enclosure.
Good To Know
- Continental Breakfast: Assorted sliced fresh fruit, fresh baked banana bread, croissants, boiled egg, yogurt, granola, 100% Kona Coffee, Hot Cocoa & Assorted teas.
- Tour Duration: 7 hours
- Guests should be able to hike on uneven or rocky terrain.
- We sometimes encounter cool, wet or muddy conditions.
- Because of high altitude this tour is not advised for those with respiratory, circulatory or heart conditions, pregnancy or poor health. Scuba divers should be aware of altitude dangers.
- No children under 16.
- Other tour restrictions may apply.
- Guests are provided hooded parkas, but should bring a sweater or jacket; wear long pants and covered walking shoes with warm socks.
Hawaii Terrific Tidbits
Browse our Travelin’ Fun page for trip tidbits, check out our favorite book on Hawaii or spend some time reading through our Hawaii blog! We love Hawaii and hope you do too!