About Big Island
Mauna Kea Summit Stars Adventure
Offered by Hawaii Forest & Trail, Maunakea Tour: Maunakea Summit & Stars Adventure offers an exciting experience for guests ages 16 and older to enjoy. The adventure includes a drive to the Mauna Kea summit to find picturesque views ideal for taking photos, a provided picnic-style dinner, a hooded parka and warm gloves, an interpretive guide of Hawaii’s spectacular cultural and geological history.
More Information on Big Island
Mauna Kea Summit Stars Adventure
The drive to the summit of Mauna Kea is one you’ll never forget. It’s hard to believe you’re in Hawaii as you climb to 13,796′ elevation above sea level. Once at the summit, we are afforded spectacular views of the horizon, Haleakala on Maui, Mauna Loa and Hualalai, and Mauna Kea’s world-class array of telescopes. Mauna Kea is the world’s tallest mountain, rising over 32,000 feet from the ocean floor to its summit, which is considered by many Hawaiians to be the most sacred place in all the islands.
Starting from our headquarters in Kona, we travel up the coast over desolate lava flows for about a half-hour before proceeding up the rolling pasturelands on the flanks of Mauna Kea. We arrive at our private dinner location at Humuula approximately 2 hours before sunset for a hot, picnic dinner served family-style. After dinner and with a winter-style parka in hand, we’ll make the 45-minute drive to the summit. As you make your way up, you’ll be fascinated by your Interpretive Guide’s knowledge of Hawaii’s remarkable natural, cultural, and geologic history.
After sunset, we descend to the Visitor’s Information Station at 9000′ elevation. Here we set up our telescope and have a stargazing party. Wrapped warmly in Arctic parkas, enjoying hot beverages and chocolate macadamia nut cookies, you will marvel at the brilliance of the Hawaiian night sky. Your Interpretive Guide will share with you stories of the world of the observable universe and offer you a personal and educational look at the heavens.
Good To Know
- This tour is great for: Couples, sight-seers, and adventurers.
- Schedule: Afternoon trips depart daily from Hawaii Forest and Trail in Kona, Queen’s Marketplace in Waikoloa Beach Resort, and Lava Java located in the Waikoloa Village Shopping Center.
- Rated: Easy to Moderate; ages 16 and over.
- Included in the Tour: Hooded winter parka, hot picnic dinner at a private location, private star show with a telescope, hot cocoa, coffee, tea, and cookies.
- Group Size: Tour limited to a maximum of 12 guests.
- Physical Restrictions: Persons with respiratory or heart conditions, pregnant women, or those in poor health should not access the summit. Scuba divers, please note that summit altitude is over 13,000 feet (4000 meters).
- Age: Children under 16 are not allowed on summit tours.
- What to bring and wear: Reusable water bottle, Closed-toe shoes, Warm Socks and/or leggings, long pants, and a sweatshirt or sweater. Winter parkas and gloves are provided.
- Please note: The tour time can change/fluctuate according to the time of the sunset.
Hawaii Terrific Tidbits
Browse our Travelin’ Fun page for trip tidbits, check out our favorite book on Hawaii or spend some time reading through our Hawaii blog! We love Hawaii and hope you do too!
Know Before You Go! Check Out Our Favorite City Travel Guide
Travelin’ Coupons City Blog