How To Redeem
1940 Air Terminal Museum Coupons
1940 Air Terminal Museum is featured on the Houston Museum Pass! Travelin’ Coupons donates 10% of its proceeds to the Student Youth Travel Foundation. Thank you for using our 1940 Air Terminal Museum Coupons!
Groupon offers several discounts on things to do in Houston. CHECK HERE to see if they have a live deal today! 😍
Air Terminal Museum
1940 Houston Municipal Airport Terminal Building is the principal artifact of the museum. The building contains a spectacular Art Deco structure. The design is by noted local architect Joseph Finger. The terminal, which also housed airport administrative functions and the airport control tower, opened on September 28, 1940, and served the airlines and their passengers until the spring of 1955.
During that short period, the terminal oversaw massive growth in air travel, from fewer than 100,000 passengers in its first year of operation to nearly a million in 1954. After most airport operations were moved to an entirely new terminal on the north side of the airport (still in use today), the 1940 structure went through a long period of decline and, in 1978, abandonment.
More Information on 1940
Air Terminal Museum
Located up the street from the 1940 Air Terminal Museum, the Municipal Hangar WR-4 was constructed soon after the airport opened in 1928 and is believed to be the oldest aviation-related structure in Houston. After serving successively as a maintenance facility for air mail planes, Eastern Air Lines’ Houston maintenance base, and eventually the ‘Sky Travel’ Fixed Base Operator, the hangar now provides shelter for the museum’s collection of aircraft.
- The museum’s terminal building is full of air-conditioning, but the bay of the 1928 Carter Airmail Hangar is not.
- Any visitor may go through the museum’s terminal building ground floor at their own pace or with a docent led guided tour.
- Visitors may not access the upper floors or balconies of the terminal building outside of specially designated events or exhibits that take place periodically throughout the year.
- Visitors may sit outside the terminal building and watch the planes or take advantage of the films in our theater.
- Food and drink can be in the theater and outside of the terminal only.
- No food and drink permitted on the ramp area, inside the atrium or terminal galleries, or inside the 1928 Carter Airmail Hangar.
- Visitors may tour the 1928 Carter Airmail Hangar by escort only, and subject to staff availability.
- Tuesday through Sunday: 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Closed Monday
- Museum members, US Military, Police and Firefighters receive free admission.
The Museum is Closed on the following dates
- All Mondays
- New Year’s Day (January 1)
- Fourth of July (July 4)
- Thanksgiving Day (date changes each year)
- Christmas Eve (December 24)
- Christmas Day (December 25)
- New Year’s Eve (December 31) closes at 3pm
1940 Air Terminal Museum
Address & Contact Information
Houston, TX 77061
Travelin’ Coupons Top
Save up to 51 % on top Houston attractions with Houston CityPASS Tickets!
Save $12.50 per person at The Houston Museum of Natural Science with Travelin’ Coupons!
Book your ticket now!
GROUPON offers things to do in Houston for up to 50% off! See what deals they have today!
Houston Terrific Tidbits
Browse our Travelin’ Fun page for trip tidbits, check out our favorite book on Hawaii or spend some time reading through our Hawaii blog! We love Hawaii and hope you do too!
Know Before You Go! Check Out Our Favorite Hawaii Travel Guide