Aquarium of the Americas
There is no snow in the penguin exhibit at Audubon Aquarium of the Americas! Don’t be surprised…there are 17 species of penguin in the world and just two of them live in the Antarctic. Want to learn more about these amazing creatures? Visit the Aquarium!
More Information on
Aquarium of the Americas
The penguin colony at the Aquarium features two species of warm-water penguins: African black-footed penguins and Rockhopper penguins. Don’t be surprised that there is no snow in their habitat. There are 17 species of penguin in the world and just two of them live in the Antarctic. African black-footed penguins are the most numerous penguins in the exhibit and many of the birds were born there! The Rockhopper penguins in the exhibit have orange feet and bright yellow tufts of feathers above their eyes. PENGUIN FEEDINGS: 10:30 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. daily!
The Aquarium is home to two Southern sea otters, Buck and Emma. The Southern Sea Otter is most commonly found in waters of the North Pacific or central California – a perfect habitat for these animals who like to spend most of their day playing in the kelp forests. These two sea otters came from Monterey Bay Aquarium in California when they became unable to live on their own in the wild. AQUARIUM AMERICAS SEA OTTER FEEDINGS: 2:00 p.m. daily!
One of the most unusual residents of the Aquarium lives in the Mississippi River Gallery, “Spots” the white alligator. One of just 18 rare white alligators found in a Louisiana swamp in 1987, Spots is white but he is not albino. He is LEUCISTIC; a gene mutation gives him his white color and steely blue eyes.
Discover the creatures of North and South America’s underwater! Enter the Caribbean Reef through the Aquarium’s 30-foot-long aquatic tunnel where you will lurk with creatures of all shapes and sizes, surrounded by 132,000 gallons of water!
Entergy Giant Screen Theater
You Aquarium experience includes one nature documentary movie at Entergy Giant Screen Theater, the largest screen in the Gulf. Located next door to the Aquarium, Entergy Theater combines the visual power of a five-and-a-half story screen with dynamic sound to put you in the middle of the action. Explore the wonders of nature through a variety of 3D giant screen features, including a 4K digital projection system and state of the art Dolby Atmos multidimensional sound. Entergy Theater is located downtown, adjacent to Aquarium Americas. Valid on same day as Aquarium visit.
Good To Know
- Adventure Island – action-packed interactive play zone
- FROGS! – features milk frogs, poison dart frogs and other favorite amphibians
- Penguins – features two species of warm-water penguins: African black-footed penguins and Rockhopper penguins.
- Sea Otters – SEA OTTER FEEDINGS daily
- Horses and Dragons from the Sea – seahorse encounters with incredible creatures like the seadragons
- White Alligator – 18 rare white alligators found in a Louisiana swamp in 1987
- Caribbean Reef – Discover the creatures of North and South America’s underwater!
- You Aquarium experience includes one nature documentary movie at Entergy Giant Screen Theater
- Adventure Island An exhibit designed for fun and exploration, Adventure Island is an action-packed interactive play zone designed to give everyone from the small fry to the captain” a day of fun and learning. Admission to Adventure Island is free with paid Aquarium admission.
New Orleans Terrific Tidbits
Browse our Travelin’ Fun page for trip tidbits, check out our favorite book on New Orleans or spend some time reading through our New Orleans blog! We love New Orleans and hope you do too!