When Laura Plantation opened to the public in 1994, it became the first historic attraction in Louisiana to include stories of enslaved Africans as part of the tour. As the leading interpreter of the experience of enslaved people in Louisiana and following years of extensive research in the United States and France, in February 2017, Laura Plantation opened a permanent exhibit dedicated to telling the authentic story of the enslaved community of this Créole farm.
More Information on
Drive out to Laura Plantation to enjoy the best history tour in the U.S. This plantation house and Creole Heritage Site is focused on the generations of a real Louisiana Creole family, both free and enslaved, and highlights the reality of the plantation within a larger historical and cultural context. On a guided tour, you’ll walk through the plantation house, gardens, slave cabins, and the museum dedicated to slavery to read first-person narratives of those who worked the fields. The unique Creole colors and historical elements reflected throughout, paired with the real documented stories provide a true glimpse into the life once lived by many in Louisiana. Book today!
- Laura Plantation: Louisiana’s Creole Heritage Site Admission & Guided Tour
- Hear first-hand intimate accounts of owners, women, children, & the enslaved
- Guided tour by an expert guide who will detail the history & the mystery of Laura Plantation
- Enjoy acres of stunning gardens, authentic artifacts, & living history
- Excellent activity or history lovers
- Duration: 1.5 Hrs.
- Laura Plantation: Louisiana’s Creole Heritage Site
- Admission to Laura Plantation
- Narrated tour
- Museum exhibit “From the Big House to the Quarters: Slavery on Laura Plantation”
What To Bring
- Weather appropriate attire
- Comfortable walking shoes
- If the weather is deemed unfavorable for this activity, your reservation may be altered or refunded.
- Tours are provided on a first-come-first-served basis.
- Laura Plantation is open 7 days a week, with tours hours varying
- A moderate amount of walking is required to complete this tour.
- Photos and videos are allowed.
- Children under 5 are free!
- Free parking is available on-site.
- The gift shop is available on-site.
New Orleans Terrific Tidbits
Browse our Travelin’ Fun page for trip tidbits, check out our favorite book on New Orleans or spend some time reading through our New Orleans blog! We love New Orleans and hope you do too!