More Information on
Take Walks San Francisco
Begin your day with a local guide near the Dragon Gate of San Francisco’s beloved Chinatown. Weave through time and space down the main avenue through a neighborhood lined with dragon lanterns, imperial terracotta statues, and all the adornment of a “Little Shanghai.” Hear the stories of the more seedy aspects during its Gold Rush foundations. Walk by neighborhood landmarks, including Waverly Place and Old St. Mary’s Cathedral. Stop into a traditional apothecary featuring fascinating Chinese medicine. Snack on fresh fortune cookies, a San Francisco invention, and take some home for the road (on us!).
Switch gears at North Beach, San Francisco’s Little Italy. Walk the well-worn paths of Beat poets and cinematic icons. See the cafe where Francis Ford Coppola sipped espresso and wrote The Godfather trilogy. Glimpse down avenues where neon signs beckon and the “Azzurri” reign supreme. Head for lunch on your own in this incredible foodie neighborhood. Your guide will set you up to find the local’s favorite spots.
After lunch, continue to explore sights along the way to Alcatraz Landing, viewing the section of Lombard Street known as “The Crookedest Street in the World.” As you draw near, your guide will give you insider information on how best to spend your time on Alcatraz, helping you collect your tickets and putting you on the short ferry to prison.
As you glide over the waters in San Francisco Bay, take in views of the Golden Gate Bridge and the incredible San Francisco skyline. (Take Walks has chosen your afternoon departure specifically because it’s when pesky Karl the Fog is most likely napping!) Explore the infamous Alcatraz prison, accompanied by the award-winning audio guide. What a perfect day in San Francisco!
Good To Know
- Explore two essential San Francisco neighborhoods, Chinatown and North Beach, with a local expert guide.
- Tour duration is approximately 7 hours.
- Pre-reserved tickets to Alcatraz Island with Cellhouse Audio Guide ($41 value), food tasting at the Fortune Cookie, and a personalized walk at the Fortune Cookie Factory are included.
- Arrive 15 minutes prior to the tour’s start time.
- Wear comfortable shoes and weather-appropriate clothing.
- Bring your camera, along with sunscreen, a hat, or an umbrella.
- All guests over 18 must bring ID on the day of their tour. Without ID, Alcatraz Cruises will not release your ticket for you to travel to Alcatraz.